Pages

Friday, March 7, 2014

MRVED Business

Agriculture and Industrial Technology Meetings
The agriculture instructors met at the MRVED on Tuesday, March 4 and the industrial technology teachers met on Thursday, March 6.  The morning was spent getting all their program approval forms and documents ready to be submitted to the state as a requirement to obtain Perkins funding.  Both groups filled up on pizza, chicken, mashed potatoes, and salad at Pizza Ranch over lunch hour.  In the afternoon the group participated in a 21st century skills activity and networked.  As usual it was a great time with a great bunch of people!

Communication Briefings (by Mary)
This will be a new section to our weekly blog.  Communication Briefings is a monthly newsletter that our office used to receive. As I was organizing my workspace, I came across a binder of these newsletters and started perusing them.  The more I looked through them, the more I thought that I should share some of the tidbits in the newsletters in an effort to promote clearer communication among our peers and students.  So each week, I will select a little something that I found interesting and worth sharing.


Tricky Pairs is this week's title.
  1. Accept and except. Accept is a verb meaning receive or take. Example: “Please accept my apology.” Except is most commonly used as a preposition meaning excluding. Example: “I like all your ideas except the last one.”
  2. Affect and effect. Affect is a verb that means to alter or influence. Example: “How will the cutbacks affect our budget?” Effect is a noun meaning result. Example: “The cumulative effect will be dramatic.”
  3. Between and among. Use the word between when describing a one-on-one relationship between two subjects. Example: “That is between you and Bob.” Use among when referring to more than two subjects. Example: “I divided my tasks among my co-workers.”
  4. Cite and site. Cite is a verb meaning to mention. Example: “Can you cite your sources?” Site is a noun referring to location; these days it often refers to an Internet page. Example: “I hired someone to update our site.”
  5. Complement and compliment. Both words can be used as nouns or verbs. Complement refers to completeness. Example: “We offer a full complement of products to meet your needs.” “That brooch complements your outfit.” Compliment means praise. Example: “I want to pass along a compliment.” “We must compliment you on your grace under pressure.”
Upcoming Meetings
March 11  FACS
March 14  Title III Paraprofessionals
March 17  CEO meeting
March 18  Guidance Counselors
March 20  Social Workers
March 21  Business
March 25  Pathways to Postsecondary
March 26  Superintendents' Council
March 28  MRVED Professional Development Day - trainings at LQPV and Dawson-Boyd (contact Brandon Raymo - braymo@mrved.net - to register or for more information on these trainings.)



No comments:

Post a Comment